The Belgian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (in short “BVA”) was founded in 1986 as a professional association representing the venture capital (VC) and private equity (PE) community in Belgium. BVA members are investment fund managers and professionals who deliver services to the community. All members agree to strictly respect our code of conduct.
The primary goals of the association are:
- to be the industry’s recognized spokesperson and to be the collective voice towards various authorities, regulatory bodies, and other stakeholders;
- to contribute to the continuous development of business in our industry by promoting the adoption of legislative and/or regulatory developments that facilitate investment activities; to promote a climate of entrepreneurship and lasting added-value creation; and, to stimulate innovation;
- to collect and analyse socio-economic, financial, legal and fiscal data related to the industry and to provide extensive information to its members, policy makers, academics and other bodies on all relevant topics;
- to improve the quality of the operation of the industry; to contribute to the training of qualified managerial groups both in funds and in their portfolio companies; and, to spread an appropriate culture.
Furthermore the BVA fosters active networking between its members and third parties. It also ensures contacts with similar associations in Belgium and abroad (Invest Europe, other national Venture Capital Associations).
The BVA Board of Directors
The 2019 BVA Board of Directors consists of:
- Jan Alexander, Chairman (PMV)
- Pierre Demaerel, Secretary General
- Thierry François (Akiles)
- Guy Geldhof (Vesalius Biocapital ARKIV)
- Laurence Glautier (Sowalfin)
- Jürgen Ingels (SmartFin)
- Koen Janssen (Sofinim)
- Sophie Manigart (Vlerick Business School)
- Raf Moons (BNP Paribas Fortis – Private Equity)
- Joëlle Starquit (Sofindev Management)
- Tom Van de Voorde (Gimv)
- Sabine Vermassen (Capricorn Partners)
As a BVA member you are making the voice of the industry heard. We actively communicate towards policymakers on national and EU levels and we contribute to taking the crucial policy questions forward.
The members of the BVA gain access to industry networking events, to high quality seminars and educational events, such as
- Presidents’ Meetings: 4 times a year (5 for full members), the executives from Venture Capital companies and advisors gather to network and to discuss issues affecting the sector.
- Workshops: a few times a year, the BVA organises educational sessions for her experienced PE and VC members’ employees.
- BVA Awards Ceremony & Cocktail: thé networking event of the Belgian PE community, not to be missed!
- BVA Academy: bi-annual training programme for new, inexperienced VCists, PE professionals and non-BVA members.
- Next Generation Events: informal networking opportunities for the people who are new to the industry, combining networking and content.
We are happy to organise events in cooperation with our members as well as to support the marketing of events organised by our members.
We also offer members discounts for participation in some external events organised by Belgian (SuperNova, The Big Score, etc) and international investors’ conferences.
We are happy to discuss the membership and how we could help our members in the best possible way. Please, do not hesitate to be in contact!
The Tax & Legal Committee
The Tax & Legal Committee monitors new and upcoming legislation affecting the VC/PE industry and more in general, makes in depth studies on tax or legal matters relevant for the VC/PE industry. Its aim is to provide information to BVA members on these topics, inter alia by way of workshops and news alerts. Where relevant, the Committee assists the BVA in its active lobbying mission.
Chairpersons of the Tax & Legal Committee are Edmond Bastijns (Gimv) and Sabine Vermassen (Capricorn). Breth Hermans (Contrast) is secretary of the committee.
The other members are:
Representatives of the industry: Pierre Demaerel (BVA), Matthias Desimpelaere (PMV), Karine Fabry (SRIW), Françoise Genion (BNP Paribas Fortis), Nele Govaert (Ackermans & van Haaren), Rafaël Hupiau (Verlinvest), Julie Van Cauwenberghe (Vendis Capital), Katti Van Oosterwijck (Korys), Alexandra Vanhoudenhoven (SFPI-FPIM) and Diane Verhaegen (Cobepa).
Advisers: Bart Bellen (Contrast), Dries Hommez (Stibbe), Deborah Janssens (Freshfields), Hugues Lamon (PwC), Charles-Antoine Leunen (Linklaters), Isabelle Panis (Allen & Overy), Bernard Peeters (Tiberghien), Nick Van Gils (EY) and Matthias Wauters (Eubelius).
The reporting to the Board of Directors is handled by Pierre Demaerel, Secretary General.
The day-to-day management
The daily management is handled by our secretary-general, Mr. Pierre Demaerel and our secretary, Mrs. Hilde Vandermeulen.
You can contact her for further information:
Address of the association
Havenlaan 86C / 419
Avenue du Port 86C / 419
The BVA Essay Award
Each year, the BVA organises the BVA Essay Award, a competition to reward the best Belgian academic research paper about venture and private equity. Not just Master papers …