SOPARTEC SA is the technology transfer and investment company of the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL):
1. Through the LOUVAIN TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER OFFICE (“LTTO”), SOPARTEC and the University´s Research Administration (ADRE) are in charge of the overall technology transfer process. This covers the financing of research contracts, the identification of inventions within the laboratories, the protection and management of intellectual property as well as the technological maturation. More specifically, SOPARTEC coordinates the management of licensing agreements and the technological maturation of UCL spin-offs.
2. SOPARTEC is also the managing company of VIVES-LOUVAIN TECHNOLOGY FUND (Vives 1 of EUR 15 mio and Vives 2 of EUR 43mio). VIVES is a multi-sectorial technology investment fund that invests in UCL spin-offs and start-ups in both in Belgium and neighbouring countries. The objective of the fund is to invest in the development of start-ups from technological validation through to commercial maturity.
Main investment criteria
1. Type of projects:
· high technology sectors in the broad sense of the term ( + emphasis on « eco-innovation »)
· high technology company based on the intellectual property or the know-how of UCL and its partners
· high technology company that has a collaborative or a strategic link with UCL and its partners
· company whose registered office is located within 250km of Louvain-la-Neuve
2. Business model demonstrating the company’s economic relevance
3. Significant market potential
4. Multidisciplinary and experienced team
5. Shareholders who have contributed , in the long term to the development plan of the company. Vives will invest in a syndicate with other investors within the framework of a financing round. Vives may take the role of lead investor and coordinate all of the operations on behalf of the syndicated investors. The cumulative amount per line of investment cannot exceed € 4m.
6. Substantial added-value potential with an average investment period of seven years, with exit prospects via trade, sale or initial stock exchange listing.
Contact: Mr. Philippe Durieux
Address: Chemin du Cyclotron 6 – 1348 Louvain-La-Neuve