Since April 2016 Pierre Demaerel is Secretary General and a board member of the BVA.
In December 2015 he completed a 33 year career with BNP Paribas Fortis (and its predecessors Generale Bank and Fortis Bank) occupying both specialist and managerial positions in several key business areas, encompassing:
- 5 years in the credit risk environment as a senior loan officer an later as Head of Corporate Desk
- 5 years as co-Head of Corporate Finance and Financial Engineering in the early nineties and later as Manager when the activities with MeesPierson were merged into Corporate Finance & Capital Markets
- 3 years managerial experience in retail and commercial banking as Regional Head of the Waasland region
- more than 10 years in private equity (first (1993-1995) as Director of the Vlaamse Investeringsvennootschap (in an ’emerging market’ context) and later contributing actively to the roll-out of a vast PE-business plan as from 2000, gaining valuable insight and experience in fund management and as a board member in European investee companies.
- 6 years as Business Operating Officer for the Brussels’ Specialized Financing platform (Export, Project, Corporate Acquisition and Leveraged Finance for the EMEA region)
Pierre holds a Master’s degree in Law (KU Leuven 1980) and an MBA, Business Administration and Management, (Vlerick Management School 1981).