The Belgian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (in short “BVA”) is a professional association representing the venture capital (VC) and private equity (PE) community in Belgium. The Belgian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (in short the BVA), was founded in 1986 as a professional association representing the venture capital (VC) and private equity (PE) community in Belgium BVA members are investment fund managers and professionals who deliver services to the community. All members agree to strictly respect our code of conduct. Main goals of the association are :
- to foster active networking amongst members of the BVA and between members of the BVA and third parties;
- to be the industry’s recognized spokesperson and to be the collective voice towards various authorities, regulatory bodies, and other stakeholders;
- to improve the quality of the operation of the industry; to contribute to the training of qualified managerial groups both in funds and in their portfolio companies; and, to spread an appropriate culture;
- to contribute to the continuous development of business in our industry by promoting the adoption of legislative and/or regulatory developments that facilitate investment activities; to promote a climate of entrepreneurship and lasting added-value creation; and, to stimulate innovation;
- to collect and analyse socio-economic, financial, legal and fiscal data related to the industry and to provide extensive information to its members, policy makers, academics and other bodies on all relevant topics;
- to ensure contacts with similar associations in Belgium and abroad (Invest Europe, other national Venture Capital Associations).
The 2017 BVA Board of Directors consists of:
Thierry François, Chairman (Econopolis)
Pierre Demaerel, Secretary General
Jan Alexander (ARKimedes)
Jean-Pierre Di Bartolomeo (Sowalfin)
Guy Geldhof (Vesalius Biocapital ARKIV)
Katrin Geyskens (Capricorn Venture Partners)
Jürgen Ingels (SmartFin Capital)
Koen Janssen (Sofinim)
Sophie Manigart (Vlerick Business School)
Raf Moons (BNP Paribas Fortis – Private Equity)
Joëlle Starquit (Sofindev Management)
Tom Van de Voorde (Gimv)
The Tax & Legal Committee monitors new and upcoming legislation affecting the VC/PE industry and more in general, makes in depth studies on tax or legal matters relevant for the VC/PE industry. Its aim is to provide information to BVA members on these topics, inter alia by way of workshops and news alerts. Where relevant, the Committee assists the BVA in its active lobbying mission.
Chairpersons of the Tax & Legal Committee are Edmond Bastijns (Gimv) and Sabine Vermassen (Capricorn). Breth Hermans (Contrast) is secretary of the committee.
The other members are:
Representatives of the industry: Dries Crevits (Korys), Pierre Demaerel (BVA), Karine Fabry (SRIW), Françoise Genion (BNP Paribas), Rafaël Hulpiau (Verlinvest), Matthias Desimpelaere (PMV) and Diane Verhaegen (Cobepa).
Advisers: Deborah Janssens (Freshfields), Dries Hommez (Stibbe), Hugues Lamon (PwC), Charles-Antoine Leunen (Linklaters), Isabel Panis (Allen & Overy), Bernard Peeters (Tiberghien), Nick Van Gils (EY) and Matthias Wauters (Eubelius).
The reporting to the Board of Directors is handled by Pierre Demaerel, Secretary General.